Heathrow CEO John Holland-Kaye today pledged to secure the economic future of families across all of Britain if the airport is allowed to expand. Underlining the importance of a decision for the British economy, the airport unveiled an ‘election-style’ manifesto at events across the country highlighting that Heathrow expansion would be the right choice to benefit every part of Britain.
The manifesto is built around five core pledges to secure a brighter future for Britain and reflects the prize for the Government if it chooses to expand the nation’s only hub:
- Help Britain’s economy grow stronger, creating up to 180,000 new jobs and 10,000 apprenticeships across the UK.
- Let our country stand tall, connecting businesses with up to 40 more long haul destinations across the globe.
- Meet tough environmental and noise limits, enforced by new independent regulators.
- Improve connectivity, with better air, rail and bus connections from Heathrow to every major town and city – North, East, South and West.
- Secure a lasting legacy for future generations, enabling our children to compete in the global race.
After considering all the evidence objectively, the Prime Minister’s Airports Commission unanimously decided that Heathrow expansion is the best choice for Britain. A third runway will boost the economy by up to £211 billion, with the benefits spread across the country.
As Heathrow CEO John Holland-Kaye explains, “If Heathrow falls behind, Britain falls behind. That means fewer jobs and less security for families. That is why we must have runway capacity that is fit for the future and build it now,”
“We all want our children to inherit a country that is stronger and can compete in the world. A keystone of our children’s future success is an expanded Heathrow.”
“Economic security, opportunity for people in every part of Britain, outward looking abroad but fair to our neighbours at home – that is the promise of our manifesto. But we can’t do it alone – we need people across the country to let the Prime Minster and the Government know that they cannot just hope for a stronger economy and country – they need to choose it and the right choice is Heathrow.”
How will Heathrow expansion benefit your area? Try our benefits calculator now!
Heathrow announces Scotland Supply Chain Hub and pledges
Businesses across Scotland stand to benefit from the first in a series of Supply Chain Hubs which Heathrow has pledged to create if its expansion plans are approved by Government. Read more…
Our Welsh manifesto…
We’ve also outlined how Heathrow expansion will benefit Wales in Our manifesto for Wales. To see the full document, click on the download button below.
To view the manifesto produced in Welsh, click here.
- Regional Distribution of Employment and Economic Impacts (QUOD, 2015). Found online, here.
- easyJet response to the Airports Commission consultation (2015). Found online, here.
- Airports Commission Final Report (Airports Commission, 2015). Found online, here.
- Impact of airport expansion options on competition and choice (Frontier Economics, 2014). Found online, here.
- For more information on rail journey time calculations, please click here.
- For more information on Heathrow’s compensation proposals and response to the Airports Commission conditions, please click here.
- More information on local job and apprenticeship creation around Heathrow expansion can be found here.
- Heathrow’s submissions to the Airports Commission are available via the downloads section of this site.