Heathrow is the world’s most valuable airport brand, with a brand value of US$919 million, according to the latest report by Brand Finance, the world’s leading independent brand valuation consultancy.
- Inaugural report into world’s most valuable airport brands ranks Heathrow top of its league, brand valued at US$919 million
- French parent company Groupe ADP hold two of the world’s most valuable airport brands, with Paris’ Charles De Gaulle Airport ranked 5th (brand value US$544 million) and Paris Orly Airport (brand value US$152 million) in 24th rank
- Singapore’s Changi Airport clinches title of world’s strongest and second most valuable airport brand, with a Brand Strength Index (BSI) score of 86.90 out of 100
- 4 Chinese airports make it to the rankings, an indication of high standards exercised in Far Eastern aviation: Shanghai Pudong, Hong Kong Intl, Beijing Capital, Guangzhou Baiyun all feature within world’s top 25 airports
- 5 US hubs are among world’s best: Los Angeles Intl, JFK Intl, Fort Worth Intl, San Francisco Intl and O’Hare Intl
NOTE: This text has been taken from a press release issued by Brand Finance.
The report is the first of its kind into the world’s strongest airport brands and uses a variety of metrics such as service quality, customer reviews and ratings, airport capacity, number of destinations, investment and utilization to measure the value and strength of airport brands around the world.
Heathrow is the most valuable global airport hub brand and has impressively, in the past year, managed to accommodate a record-breaking volume of 80.1m passengers, making it the busiest airport in Europe and the world’s 7th busiest airport.
The challenge now for top ranked Heathrow is to think beyond the runway debate and to monetise its valuable brand and world-class reputation by stretching the brand into adjacent categories such as consulting and managing aviation related services (e.g.: advising other airport operators on management and operations, training programs).
Savio D’Souza, Director of Aviation at Brand Finance, commented, “A world class airport hub is one that can operate seamlessly with heavy volumes of passengers transiting, departing and arriving while also maintaining high service standards across its terminals, a superior customer service offering and a pleasant travel experience for customers.
“The most valuable airport brands are those that manage to meet the demands of discerning business travellers and frequent fliers, as well as providing a comfortable and well-equipped environment to accommodate for a family embarking on their annual summer holidays.”
Singapore’s Changi takes out World’s Strongest Brand, while Heathrow achieves 4th place
Aside from calculating overall brand value, Brand Finance also determines the relative strength of brands through a balanced scorecard of metrics evaluating marketing investment, stakeholder equity, and business performance. Along with the level of revenues, brand strength is a crucial driver of brand value.
The strongest brand in the sector belongs to Singapore’s Changi Airport with a Brand Strength Index (BSI) score of 86.90 out of 100. Changi Airport is renowned for its world-class duty-free shops and transfer services as well as ease of access for passengers.
Heathrow achieved 4th place in the list with an AA+ rating and a score of 74.9 out of 100.
Read the full report here.