Through the Heathrow Business Summits we are working to connect SMEs with each other, with the airport, and, through the airport, to the world.
The airport spends up to £1.5bn annually with more than 1,400 suppliers from around the UK and there will be more work on the horizon with expansion.
Construction of the runway will be the UK’s largest privately-funded infrastructure project and small and medium-sized businesses will be critical to delivering the £14bn investment.
The original Heathrow Business Summit is an annual event that has been taking place for 20 years to connect local businesses to our supply chain. In 2018, we added events in Scotland, Yorkshire, the Midlands, Northern Ireland, Wales, and the South East.
As part of Heathrow’s ongoing work to use its postiion as a national asset for the particular benefit of SMEs around the country, the airport has also released 5 SME guarantees:
- Develop the successful Heathrow Business Summits across the UK. These bring together SMEs with Heathrow’s procurement team and the airport’s principal suppliers.
- As a signatory to the Prompt Payment Code, ensure suppliers are paid on time and ensure this practice flows down through the airports supply chain into SMEs.
- Establish a new Innovation Networking Forum to reach out to SMEs and start-up organisations in the innovation and technology sector.
- Offer SMEs access to the millions of international passengers at Heathrow, by brokering deals between stockists and World Duty Free and other retail tenants.
- Establish a grants programme offering awards up to £2k for SMEs to spend on travel and trade missions to help SMEs reach new markets.