Virgin Atlantic announces second daily service between London Heathrow and Johannesburg
Virgin Atlantic is today announcing a second daily service between London Heathrow and Johannesburg, or Tambo, airport. The new flights will go on sale on 24th March 2018. The route will be operated by Boeing 787-9 offering the airline’s latest cabin interiors and inflight entertainment, as well as Wi-Fi on every flight.
- Virgin Atlantic will introduce a second daily service between London Heathrow and Johannesburg from winter 2018
- Route operated by new Boeing 787-9 aircraft
- The new flight will add an additional 180,000 seats between London Heathrow and Johannesburg
Virgin Atlantic’s new service will begin flying in winter 2018 with the first flight departing on 28th October 2018. With two flights per day to South Africa’s biggest city, Virgin Atlantic expects to carry over 300,000 customers annually – helping to support tourism and trade between the two nations.
The new flight times:
- The additional daily flight will depart London Heathrow at 4.45pm and land into Johannesburg at 5.40am local time. The service will be the first Heathrow flight to land each morning making it perfect for business travellers or those with onward connections to the rest of Africa.
- The return flight will leave Johannesburg at 10.20pm landing back into Heathrow at 7.30am. The route has been timed to enable customers to easily connect onto flights with Virgin Atlantic and Delta to over 200 US destinations, including Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Shai Weiss, Chief Commercial Officer at Virgin Atlantic, commented,“Virgin Atlantic has been proud to serve South Africa for over 20 years. Johannesburg is one of the most popular destinations on our network so we’re delighted to add a second daily service to create even more travel opportunities for our customers.
From Winter 2018 Virgin Atlantic will operate two flights per day to Johannesburg to make it even easier for customers to travel for business and leisure between the UK and South Africa – as well as creating additional cargo capacity for the route. “
“We’re delighted to see Virgin Atlantic add another daily service to Johannesburg from Heathrow – strengthening Britain’s connections with one of Africa’s most important markets. The new Virgin flight will boost choice for our passengers and open up new opportunities for Britain’s exporters to trade with South Africa.” – Heathrow CEO John Holland-Kaye
Heathrow CEO John Holland-Kaye welcomed the announcement, “We’re delighted to see Virgin Atlantic add another daily service to Johannesburg from Heathrow – strengthening Britain’s connections with one of Africa’s most important markets. The new Virgin flight will boost choice for our passengers and open up new opportunities for Britain’s exporters to trade with South Africa.”
All customers travelling to and from South Africa will enjoy Virgin Atlantic’s award winning service, and a choice of booking into the Upper Class, Premium or Economy cabins. Earlier this month Virgin Atlantic announced that it would introduce three new ticket types from spring 2018 – economy light, economy classic and economy delight.
The new South African flights will offer 36 Economy Delight seats on each service – with priority check-in and boarding, free seat selection and 34inch extra legroom seats which are expected to prove particularly popular on overnight flights.
Virgin Atlantic will fly twice daily from London Heathrow to Johannesburg. For further information please visit www.virginatlantic.com.