The construction of Heathrow Terminal 5 included a spare rail station that has remained empty since works were completed in 2008 – but what is it for?
This vacant rail station has been safeguarded below ground in Terminal 5 – ready to be used with proposed Southern Rail Access plans.
Southern Rail Access will connect large areas of the south of London that have never had direct rail connections with the airport before including South London, Surrey, Hampshire and the South Coast.
With a potential completion date of 2030, a Southern Rail link could connect the Waterloo-Windsor line to Terminal 5, via a new station in Bedfont, with trains running on an elevated track through Bedfont.
There would be two trains an hour between Feltham and Terminal 5, with a journey time of around 13 minutes. Passengers leaving from London Waterloo could be at the the UK’s hub airport in 43 minutes.
Britain’s best connected airport
Heathrow is already the best connected airport in the UK for surface access. By 2032, Heathrow is expected to be connected to 5 different rail lines with the percentage of passengers using public transport estimated to reach almost 60% by 2040 as a result!
With our plans 70% of the UK population will be within 3 hours of Heathrow on public transport alone while the M25 will be transformed.
- Crossrail: The full opening of Crossrail in 2019 will bring the heart of London’s financial district and much of East London within a 60 minute catchment area for Heathrow.
- HS2: By 2032, Heathrow will be connected to the High Speed Rail network via a new passenger interchange at Old Oak Common providing fast access to the Midlands and improved connectivity to Northern England and Scotland.
- Southern Rail access: This project will improve connectivity between Heathrow and South London, Surrey, Hampshire and the South Coast.
- Western Rail access: Providing fast direct access to Heathrow by 2021 for passengers from Slough, Reading and the Thames Valley and further improve journey times to the South West and South Wales.
- Piccadilly Line upgrades: Will deliver improved frequency and faster journey times.