Fast facts about how Heathrow helps Britain reach the world…
Heathrow, as the UK’s hub, helps Britain and Northern Ireland reach more of the world than any other airport. We’ve taken a closer look at the fast facts behind this global reach.
- 194 destinations, across 82 countries, are available from Heathrow;
- Heathrow is the only UK airport to provide direct flights to each of the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, and China) nations;
- Over 200 of the UK’s top 300 company HQs are within a 25-mile radius of Heathrow;
- 94% of Heathrow passengers travel on international flights;
- New destinations in the last 12 months include Santiago (Chile), Jakarta (Indonesia), San Jose (California, USA)
- In recent years Heathrow has welcomed a number of national carriers of emerging nations including Garuda Indonesia, Vietnam Airlines, and Avianca Airlines (Colombia);
- 29% of the UK’s long-haul goods by value travelled via Heathrow in 2015 – by comparison 0.2% travelled via Gatwick;
- Passenger numbers to emerging markets in the Middle East (+16.9%) and Asia (+3.2%) were strong drivers of Heathrow’s record 2016 year which saw almost 76 million people travel through the airport;
- 1.54 million metric tonnes of cargo travelled through Heathrow in 2016.
UPDATE (1 Feb, 2017): What are the Top 10 trading nation partners the UK could look to trade with post-Brexit? We’ve teamed up with WPI to launch a Trade Prospects index. Find out more, here.
How can Heathrow expansion help Britain’s reach grow further…
Heathrow expansion, recently announced as the Government’s preferred option for airport expansion, has the potential to create up to 40 new direct long-haul destinations from Heathrow. Find out more, via our Expansion website, here.